Friday, June 12, 2015

Remember to rest

     Since the last post I have run the Heart Break Half at Camp Pendleton in California. California-check. Then The Petersburg Inaugural Half , The Elizabeth River Run 10k and then threw in Run for the Dream 5k and half for good measure. The first two were in May, a month after my 2 marathons in 7 days escapade, the others I ran in May. I don't like racing. Not at all. (Said with a healthy dose of sarcasm.)

     Heart Break half was rough. Its really called heart break hill for a reason. But, I checked of California and the neatest thing was to meet some girls from the west coast who are in another chapter of the Moms Run this Town Group I am a part of. Coast to coast MRTT, since I am from Virginia.
 ummmm...up hill both ways?
 It wasn't nearly as hot before the sun came up.
Can you find the civilian?
 
     It was one rough race. One that I am probably the most proud of. While there didn't seem to be many of us who weren't either retired, reserved or active duty, they were the friendliest along the course I have seen. They encourage everyone. Those running were throwing out encouragement. I wasn't last and I barely made it under the time limit, but it was worth it. My most awesome best friend even drove down hill to pick me up, so I wouldn't have to walk up the hill to car when I was done. You know you have a great friend when she does that AND gets up at the crack of dawn to drag your butt to a race she isn't even walking in.

     The one thing I noticed was I was tired after this race. Tired enough to take a nap. Say what?! A nap? Those are for sissies, right? I have never needed to do that after a race. My legs didn't hurt, but they were definitely not up to snuff either. Hmmm... Well, nap I did. I felt much better after, but my legs were still tired. We wrapped up California and sadly went home.

     Off to Petersburg a week later. I tried some short runs in between, but my legs were just heavy. Tired, heavy blocks of I don't know what. So I rested some more. When we got to Petersburg, I was excited but given the way my legs had been feeling planned on not running a fast (ish-for me) race from the beginning. I was also looking forward to the history of the place, but leery of it being and inaugural race.

     The first mile, my legs felt great, up hill no less. Then at about a mile and half they stopped working, at least the way I wanted them to. At about mile two, I gave up. I would have to run the pace my legs wanted to go. I would finish, but the lead bricks I had for legs said that pace wasn't going to be very fast at all. The marathons and lack of resting had caught up. Now I knew why people took a month off after a marathon. Lead legs is an awful feeling. I would finish the race and then was determined to take it easy.
 Downtown Petersburg, predawn
 Downtown Petersburg, dawn
 a meeting of the re-enactment minds
 Take back Virginia!

     I loved all the history. It was a great race. There were some things I would like to see done better...more water stops at the end, so you don't die in the heat, pizza without a bucket of salt added. Really, there are better ways for me to put that back...say some cold Gatorade, Powerade or something? Packet pick up was easy, the course was well manned and handled...hehe...manhandled. I would definitely run this again.
 
     I now had three weeks to rest my legs. Hahaha! Well, I kinda did. I found that if I didn't keep running the little voice in my head got louder...and cranky. I berated my poor legs for still being slow and tires and not moving fast enough, so I would take a day or two off and try to rest them, but when they were still slow I got frustrated. I didn't want to run. Realizing my old shoes were way beyond their life time, I got new shoes, but not the ones I normally get. BIG MISTAKE. While they weren't bad, and would be just fine for a 5k, anything beyond that made my feet hurt. I kept at it, sucking it up and ordered new shoes. I had hope new shoes would help refresh my legs, but with the wrong shoes, this didn't happen.
 
     The day before my next half, the Marine Corp Historic Half, the right shoes came in. YEAH! Lets just say Cinderella has nothing on good running shoes.
 
Hospital Hill, here I come, tired legs and all. It would be another slow race.
 13.1 Baby!
 Proud to be and American.
 Wish they were handing out water!
 Looking up Hospital Hill...at the half way.
Looking down...at the half way.
     It rained the night before, absolutely poured. We were excited to think it would cool things off...not so much. This was like running Virginia Beach Rock n Roll...hot, humid and miserable. I was so stinky and sweaty...ugh! Even Glide didn't completely help! The good news was, everyone had a slower race, and the even better news...my lefts felt better.
 
     Lets throw in a 10k for good measure...plus I love this run. Its fun, local and friendly. This year the course got cut short because we had an emergency helicopter landing at the hospital we usually run around, but I can't complain about that. They were saving lives. Besides, the race crew adjust the course in record time, let us know what was up and we STILL started on time, had awards and yummy food at the end.
 
     To round everything out, my daughter joined me for Run for the Dream. I love this race. Don't know why, but I do. This was my third time running it. Friday, I ran the 5k with my daughter. She hates running, but does it to spend time with me and make me happy. What and awesome kid! Again with the hot and humid. Welcome to summer in Hampton Roads.  This won't ease up until October...if I am lucky. So you give you body time to adjust and don't except and PR's other then for that particular race and course. If you are lucky, it rains and you run faster because the rain cools it down.
Williamsburg, VA
 Williamsburg, VA
Williamsburg, VA
So here is what I learned...
1) everyone needs some rest, even me
2) lead legs suck
3) the wrong shoes do NOT help recovery
4) and in light of that, but LOTS of the new "right" shoes- they are pretty and make your feet and legs happy
5) sometimes, its ok to slow down and just enjoy the race
 
     I know, everyone already knows that. But somehow, I can convince myself I am exempt, until it happens. I very much dislike resting, but when it gets to a point where I am not excited to run, its time to stop and rest. This is why people taper right before marathons and normally, don't cram in so many races their legs start a sit in to protest.
 
     I have not more races until August and I have been doing easy evening runs to rest the legs. They are finally starting to get back to the speed they were at before, but dang!, it took FOREVER! and they still aren't there completely! Hot or not, I am at least excited to run again. Maybe I can thrown in a one in NY in July? hmmmm...we shall see!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment