Sunday, June 14, 2015

Everlast Sample

 I belong to one of the best running groups out there-Moms Run This Town. There are chapters everywhere and they are some of the most friendly and welcoming runners you will every meet. I highly recommend you look them up. I am a mom and these ladies get revolving kid schedules, running at odd hours and the need for some adult conversation sometimes. Its is a free group and they run at all different paces. Let me tell you, it is really nice to walk up to a race start and run into someone you know so you don't have to start alone.

Recently I had the change to try a new Protein Powder through that group. Everlast Vegan Protein Vanilla. Normally, protein powder-YUCK! Its like drinking liquid chalk, its sticks to the darn cup and doesn't wash off in the dishwasher, not to mention, it you don't like chocolate like me, your options are usually limited as the other flavors are even worse if there are other flavors. I was cautious, but after finding that even a carnation instant breakfast after a long run helped, I was game to try. It couldn't be any worse then the others I had tried.

My sample came and I saw that it was vanilla...not chocolate. There was potential. I figured I had a long run coming up in a couple of weekends and I would give it a try after that run.

The day dawned hot and steamy. Virginia has recently decided to mimic a sauna, even at 6  in the morning. Even taking water with you, you are thirsty and hot and have sweated five pounds of water and nutrients out when you are done. I met my friend and off we went. We were so miserable that when we went by an apartment complex with the sprinklers on we walked...no, strolled, through the sprinklers. Thank you apartment complex. Same time next week.

Despite drinking my now warm sports drink on the run, I was starting to get a headache. For me, this is indicative of one of two things...not enough fluids or I have lost too many of the essential minerals (read salt) through sweat.  It was a great day to try the sample.

Once home and showered (I know, I know- eat first, shower later) I went down and mixed it up. Opening the packet I noticed the powder was finer then most protein drinks I had tried. I mixed it up and it mixed better too. I did only use a spoon so a shaker ball would probably be even better, but it didn't have all that drink froth on the top that you have to slog through before you get to drink the rest.
Down the hatch! It had a creamer texture and was a little thicker then what I had expected, but it tasted good! Not grainy, not chunky with bits that didn't mix. I drank the whole thing. Better yet, it wasn't chocolate. Better yet, it was vanilla! So, I checked the ingredients, the nutrition and the cost.

There are two things I don't like. It has carrageen, which supposedly isn't good for you. However, this depends on how much you ingest and what study you read. You do the research and you choose. The other thing is the sodium. While I agree, I need to put my sweaty, nasty salt back, I think I would rather do it naturally. As a society, we eat more sodium then we need just in our meals. Then we add table salt. Most people do need to add it synthetically too. I don't have a blood pressure issue, but that may be something to consider for those who do. As always, consult your doctor before starting a new diet/exercise program etc. and remember, this is only what I think and I am NOT a professional. (this is where I say, you are on your own, always be smart about what you do and try and I take no responsibility, etc.)

The leaves the big question of cost. Having found one I liked, I wondered what it would cost me. Most seem to average 35-45 bucks per container. Everlast has this one on its site on sale for about $40.00. Amazon sells it for twice that. A little expensive for my purse...but I liked it and it was on sale. I would like to try it mixed with ice and bananas or blueberries, but if I doesn't stay on sale, honestly, I probably won't buy it again. So that's what I did today. Not a race, but it could help with a race in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment