Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Picture Race

     My next half marathon was to be hilly, cold and a heck of a drive. It was also suppose to be amazingly beautiful and part of the trip was for my daughters birthday. She always gets shafted because Shamrock is on her birthday weekend and I am NOT mom of the year.
 Packet pick up and the race start/finish were near here.
 Miles...well, just about all of them looked like this...
and this...
 and this...
at the top of hill was this...

 another hill and this...
     I mean seriously, hills or no hills, 18 degrees Fahrenheit, this race lived to its name. "Run the Blue Grass- the prettiest half marathon" I loved it. After two marathons, the hills were hard, but I would absolutely do it again.
     They had a special vintage of bourbon you could buy if you could afford it and there were tons of tours that catered to the race. Since we were not only in horse country, but also bourbon country, a lot of tours were of distilleries and if I didn't have my daughter with me I would have gone. As it was, we went to visit the Secretariat center. They gave us really crappy directions to get there but once there it was worth it. The smile on my daughter's face was amazing. Best part of the whole trip.
Forget the bourbon, if I had a horse trailer and lots of money we would have gone home with this guy, whether I wanted to or not. If you can, the Run the Blue Grass is a half that needs to go on your list. Build time into you pace to take pictures and add days to see the sights. You won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment