Thursday, January 30, 2014

Freak Out

So I haven't made it to Myrtle Beach yet. I have been too busy worrying about the training for Shamrock. When you look up self doubt in the dictionary, I am pretty sure there is a picture of me as there is next to the work worry. Anyone who knows me long ago realized that I can take anything, any situation, and moment in time and turn it into a blood pressure cooking worry fest. Those people have either taken it as it is, shrugged and loved my anyway or move on. My latest greatest is the Shamrock. I had the brilliant idea that since I was running all these half marathons, why not a whole? Seems great in theory, right? Sure!
Except that we had snow. I don't mind snow, until it interferes with my schedule. To reduce worry, I follow a schedule. My training runs are scheduled. I get my daughters extra curricular activity schedule ahead of time to make sure its on the schedule. When it snows and they cancel school and side walks are icy, it messes with my schedule and I start to freak out. I ran 20 miles two weekends again. Last weekend was only 3.5. During the week I did not run my 5/8/5 on Tuesday/wed/Thursday, but I did run some. So now, I am freaking out. I have looked up the percentage of how much you actually lose in a week of not training. 3 to 4%. Two weeks 15-20%. OMG! I have to start all over right? Not so much, but my head thinks I do. I only have 6 weeks left to get it together! Only 6 weeks to keep up long runs to make sure I can hit 26.2! How in the world is that going to happen?! One step at a time, it will happen. Seriously, so I have to run 20 again. And then 21 next weekend, 22 the following weekend. As long as we don't get anymore "storm of a generation" storms, I should be good. BUT OMG! Only 6 weeks to get it together! What the heck am I going to do when I have to taper?! Maybe I should have my husband sedate me until race day.
It doesn't help that I have been doing a lot of this myself. Not only is it snow season, its busy season. Kids, jobs, snow, more snow, and vacations to warm places season. Also, I thought it would be easier to run the long runs alone, because then there would be no one to laugh at my pace. Insert head smack- duh! There is a reason most people do this with another crazy friend. Lesson learned. On that note, I am head to the gym and the dreadmill or maybe outside. Either way, I need to not get off schedule...AGAIN.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing great!! How many well-respected training plans only go to 20 miles? If you look at it from that perspective (which you won't, but I am just throwing it out there...), then you will be fine! We go to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks, so running will be flat and fun again. Then it's 4 weeks until Shamrock and 2 of those are taper weeks. New plan - 21 this week (2/1), 22 the following (2/8), 13 for Myrtle Beach, 24 for the next week (2/22) and then 26 for the last week before taper (2/28). You will be fine!

    ReplyDelete